What We Saw At Night

What We Saw at Night - Jacquelyn Mitchard

This is one of those books I wish I had read reviews for before I picked it up. I wanted something fast and fun, and something stand alone. This wasn't really any of the above. For a book about murder and daring night time stunts it was strangely dull. The pacing was just plain off. And while Parkour may look exciting, describing it is anything but engaging. (It's a great idea in theory, but it just doesn't translate well to the page.) I also have to say, as someone who is nocturnal, this book about living at night seemed to be written from the perspective of what a day person thinks living at night is like. There's more to being a night person than other people being asleep. I don't even have a deadly skin disease, and I still think the perspective was lacking. The characters overall were weak, and many of them felt like standard cut-outs. But most damning of all: it doesn't have an end. You could say it sets up for a sequel, and ends on a cliffhanger, but that's not really how it felt. It felt like the book ended right before the climactic end scene. Like the last ten pages were ripped out. It ends that abruptly and oddly. This book doesn't feel like it needs a sequel - it feels like it needs a final chapter. All in all I found this book a let down. I doubt I'll read on in the series, so if anyone out there reads the sequel and thinks it improves do let me know.