Lord of the Flies: Or Why Children Creep Me Out

Lord of the Flies - Edmund L. Epstein, William Golding

Some books have windows of maximum enjoyment - they are best read at specific times in one's life. This past year I've been making an effort to read some of the "classics" I missed in my youth, and I think I would have loved this book had I read it when I was younger. Unfortunately, I suspect I missed my window on this one - I liked it, but it failed to make the impact on me that it has on so many others.

There were a few things that surprised me, which is pretty great given how referrenced this book is in our culture. I was surprised by how much the book read like an old adventure novel in the beginning. It reminded me of Robinson Crusoe. I was also surprised by the character of Simon, whom I connected to far better than any of the others. Why doesn't anyone talk about Simon? It's always all about Piggy, but I really found Simon, and what happened to him, far more compelling and upsetting. It's interesting how you can walk away from a book struck by different things when you read it on your own rather than in school.

My biggest complaint was the ending. It didn't sit right with me, though I'll avoid specifics. I will say I doubt it would have ended on such a note if it were written/published today. Overall, however, I am quite glad I read it. I feel like I've filled in an important part of my volcabulary in our culture's discourse. (Also: I really want to go watch season one of LOST again... ;) )