Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky  - Veronica Rossi

I loved this book. In fact, I'm totally stunned by how much I loved this book. On the surface it appears to be one of the thousands of teen sci-fi books that cycles through my store. Totally unremarkable. I moved it to the top of my list because I have the chance to meet the author in a week. I'm so glad I did!

This book has characters I really cared about, with believable motivations. It addresses core concepts like what family means, and what reality is or can be. It has adventure. It has social commentary. It has interesting concepts and setting. And it doesn't pull punches. In fact, it's shockingly raw for teen lit. This is book where people get decapitated, menstruate, have complex sexual lives, as well as also making occasionally violent decisions or mistakes. In other words, they read like real people. And while it is a love story it was one I believed rather than a love at first sight gimmick. Like I said, I loved this book. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good teen read that doesn't fall into the rut of trendiness or cliche.