Skinny

Skinny - Donna Cooner

This is a tricky review to write. I had some problems with this book. Honestly, I think I wanted this book to be different than what it was. It starts out showing you how the main character has an emotional connection to food, and also has a lot of issues she needs to come to terms with (like the death of her mother). Yet the solution for her weight loss is surgery rather than therapy. This bothered me. A lot. True, the main character does sort herself out by the end, but that is only after she loses 100 pounds, not vice versa. It gives you the feeling that if you lose weight your problems will be solved, which is dangerous ground. I get that there are plenty of people who require surgery in order to lose weight - the problem was that this character didn't feel like one of them. If you replaced the surgery with therapy I'd be much more likely to recommend this book. As is, I don't think I can, at least not to teens who are struggling with such issues.

So why 2.5 stars? I do want to give this book kudos for tackling teen weight and self-esteem issues. I think books like these are important. It would go nicely next to Hunger, another book I read earlier this year about anorexia. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that for whatever reason I found this book difficult to put down. It was very easy to just keep reading well past my bedtime. While I may not have bought into the psychology behind things, I absolutely connected with the feelings Cooner was tapping into.