The City of Brass

The City of Brass - S.A. Chakraborty

This is one of those books that I found perfectly serviceable and fine. I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it either. It pulled me along at a decent rate and I didn't feel the urge to abandon it at any point. Conversely I don't feel compelled to pick up the sequel, though I hope the people I know who read it give me the rundown.

The world building had some interesting points, but it was unevenly delivered so that there were times where I felt adrift and others where I felt overly saturated. The characters were very tropey, but that didn't overly bother me. What did bother me was what the author decided to show versus tell. There would be long sections I would have considered cutting or condensing, while other scenes I very much wanted to see in full were skipped over entirely - I was vexed by what did and did not make it onto the page. I will say there were several choices made as far as plotting that surprised me. When I was a third of the way through the book I thought I knew exactly where the story was going, but I was wrong.

If you're looking for a fantasy set in a world of djinn that's heavy on politics, and brimming with lush descriptions, this might be a solid win for you. If you're looking for something really original with memorable well drawn characters you might want to look elsewhere. Your milage may vary.