Winterglass - Benjanun Sriduangkaew

I am really not certain how to review this book - it's unlike anything I've ever read before. The setting blurs the lines between sci-fi and fantasy in some really interesting and unusual ways, which kept me off-balance as I read. The world building is intricate, and lovingly conceived, but since you are thrown into the deep end and very little is ever explained it, again, left me feeling off-balance. It's a very slippery little book.

The writing is artful and lovely, and the imagery is striking and fresh. I also enjoyed how unapologetically queer it was. Yet, I could never quite connect to the story nor characters. I think it might be a case of me trying too hard to riddle out all the rules of the world when it was more like being emerged in dream-logic. You are bombarded with so many fascinating little pieces of setting, character, and mood, but they are rarely expanded upon (it is a novella after all). This is one of those reads that's going to be very appealing to people who can relax and float through the painting Sriduangkaew has rendered, but off-putting to people who want to examine and make sense of the canvass being used. It has a strong style, and I think overall this one is going to come down to whether or not it suits your particular tastes and reading style. I remain glad I read it, but still uncertain how I feel about it.