A Conjuring of Light - Darker Shade of Magic #3

A Conjuring of Light - V E Schwab

This is going to be a shorter review than I usually write because I'm basically just going to tell you to read this. Now. If you were putting off starting this trilogy because you were waiting for them all to come out, or you were waiting to dive into this volume until you got confirmation that the ending was worth it, this is your green light.

Schwab's characters continue to take center stage. My favorites are all here, and several side characters also get a chance to shine. I can't really tell you more in this arena because it would spoil the surprise. The story picks up right where the second book left off, and my heart was pounding from page one. And it just gets more intense from there. The pacing and plot were fast and twisty enough this book was difficult to put down. With dark magic literally pounding down their doors for a large segment of the story there is a siege element that adds some claustrophobia to the story, but not in a bad way. This gets offset with some time out at sea and plenty of action. The stakes have risen, and as a result so has the death toll. However, each loss felt earned within the story, which made them matter and hurt rather than grate (and I might have cried). When I reached the end I felt satisfied, but also bittersweet. Saying more than that would cheat you of the journey. I envy you the experience of reading this book for the first time.