Gemina: If Die Hard and Alien had a teenage love child

Gemina (The Illuminae Files) - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Illuminae was one of my favorite reads of 2015, so when I managed to get my hands on an advanced copy of Gemina I was simultaneously thrilled and nervous. Nervous because my expectations were high, and I didn't know if the particular magic that was Illuminae could be recaptured. Guess what? This book did not meet my soaringly high expectations, it exceeded them. Somehow Kaufman and Kristoff have managed to not only recapture the breakneck speed and engrossing storytelling they introduced in Illuminae, but they have also managed to introduce two new main characters so captivating I didn't mind leaving the old ones behind. If anything I think I like Nik & Hanna even more than Kady & Ezra.

Told in the same format as the previous book, through chat logs, found footage, and mixed media, this book is nearly impossible to put down. It had me turning pages well past my bedtime, and stretching every second of my lunch break. Imagine, if you will, Die Hard set on a space station with creepy aliens slithering around, and an unlikely duo of teenagers in the starring roles. That's Gemina. And I loved every minute of it. My one point of angst now is waiting for the third book, as this only made me hungry for more. I can't wait until Gemina hits the shelves in October so I can buy a finished copy for myself and see all the fantastic art I know will be included.

A huge thank you to Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff for lugging an advanced copy through the airport to gift to my store, and to Random House for providing the ARC in the first place. You have a lifelong fan.