Night Broken: Mercy Thompson #8

Night Broken  - Patricia Briggs

I'm just going to assume that if you're reading this review you are familiar with the Mercy Thompson books. If you aren't then stop reading this and go read the first book in the series instead. Good? Good.

Okay. So first of all I love these books. I love the characters, the world, and the way Briggs spins a story. This book, however, I did not love. It's difficult to rate & review a mediocre book in an excellent series. It feels like a betrayal. There were pieces of this book I really liked. It was so fun to see Tad in action, and have some interesting interactions with the vampires and Coyote. That was all great. But unfortunately none of that was the focus of this book. The bulk of the story revolved around Adam's terrible ex, Christy, coming to town and the fallout for Mercy and the pack. Yes, there is a monster. Yes, there is action. But the real focus is Christy being a bitch and Mercy trying to be the bigger person. It was grating. We've all likely had to deal with people like Christy before, and I think Briggs did a convincing job. The problem is that isn't the sort of thing I enjoy being immersed in - not in real life, and certainly not in my leisure reading.

This is in no way a deal breaker for me. I finished the book excited to see where the series will go forward. There were a lot of interesting threads established in this installment, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book. If you are looking for advice, despite my lackluster review I wouldn't skip this book - a lot of foundations are laid here. Just breeze through, enjoy the non-Christy character interactions, and carry on. Mercy is worth it even when the book is less than amazing.