The Strange Library: Or a short and vivid dream about loss

The Strange Library - Ted Goossen, Haruki Murakami

First of all: don't let the size of this book fool you. This is not a novella. It is a short story laid out in double spaced 20 point type, with half of the pages filled with full color pictures. You can sit down and read this in one short sitting. It's more of an art project than a book. And that's just fine so long as you know what you're getting into.

All of that said, I truly loved this book. The quality of the story is so dreamlike it feels like waking up when you set it down. The plot follows dream logic, where things just *are* whether they makes sense or not. The illustrations and format added to the effect. It's a lot like listening to someone telling you about a particularly vivid and strange dream they had the night before. It also struck me as a meditation on grief, or the end of childhood. There is a feeling of loss stirred in amongst the color and whimsy. I'd be curious whether other people have a similar feeling while reading it. I look forward to rereading this one in the future.